Monday, September 28, 2009

Wait a Minute Mr. Postman, See do You have a Letter for Me?

I had the greatest bit of excitement today when I was checking the mail to see if there were any new bills (that's all I'm used to getting)- I GOT A LETTER!!!! A real handwritten letter! I know to many people, snail-mail, handwritten letters seem out dated. Ok perhaps as a main mode of transportation they are, but I must tell you, it was soo delightful to receive a handwritten letter from a good friend who moved away. I couldn't stop smiling, much less wait till I got to the door to open it.

See the thing about receiving mail (that's not a bill) is that it is personal, meant just for you. Someone cares enough about you to sit down and take the time to write you a note. Sending a letter to a friend or family member reminds me of when I was younger. As a kid I used to write letters all the time to my cousin who lived states away as it was too expensive to call and talk to her. After I wrote the letter and successfully mailed it I would try to figure how long it would be before I got a response from my cousin, each day anxiously awaiting the arrival of the postman.

If you have a family member older or younger, or a friend whose moved away, take some time today or tomorrow and write him or her a letter. Then, after you've mailed it, you'll have something to look forward to in a week, and perhaps if you're like me you'll have forgotten about it and will have pleasant surprise waiting for you.

1 comment:

  1. I, so, agree! There's nothing quite like that handwritten letter from someone who matters. I hate to think of, as some people have mentioned... more and more lately... the thought that the postal system may be completely gone in a matter of years. I have letters from my Grandparents who have passed away, solid letters, that I can take out and read whenever I want, and see their handwritten signature. No email or phone call can replace that!

    ReplyDelete