Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tis the Ghoulin' Season

Happy October!!! I am fantastically excited about today, its the first day of my favorite month!!

I LOVE fall! As a little kid it meant getting to help dad rake the leaves, only so we could run and jump in them when he wasn't looking. It was getting to comfortably wear blue jeans and a t-shirt. It meant we got to have a bonfire party where we got to drink spiced cider, and roast wieners over the fire. It meant carving scary pumpkins. It was getting to take beautiful photos of the trees changing colors before they lost their leaves. It meant that the school semester was halfway done. But most excitingly it meant that in 31 days, I got to play dress up for a day and collect unlimited quantities of candy! How much greater can a month get?

October still holds the same luster for me now, as it did when I was a little kid, with a few changes though of course. I no longer get to see the beautiful leaves changing color, unfortunately the southern pine only has one shade of green. Now that I'm not living at home, there is more emphasis on the smells of fall- apple spice candles, pumpkin spice lattes, the refreshing crisp cool air in the morning. Now I make the pumpkin and apple pies, instead of being just being mom's helper. The cider is usually spiked, and the pumpkins aren't carved. I still dress up if there is a costume party, but much to my chagrin there are no vast quantities of free candy given away.

Even if October isn't your favorite month, take a second to step outside and admire fall! Listen the crunch of the leaves under your feet. Open your windows and let the fresh crisp air in. Make yourself a cup of apple cider or stop by a coffee shop and get a pumpkin latte, or grab a bag of candy corn when youre at the grocery. Enjoy the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment